Everyone loves homemade food. You can almost taste the love that went into it. For me, homemade pie cannot be compared to other pies. If it is done well it should blow your socks off. This recipe should do the same. Cheese and onion is a perfect filling for a pie. I love a nice meaty pie but cheese and onion also has a place in my heart.
Not to forget this is perfect for parties as the majority of people love cheese and onion and it is suitable for vegetarians so don’t think twice about cooking this if you are hosting a party for a variety of different people.
For the filling
For the pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
2. Melt the 50g butter in a pan and then gently fry the onions on a low heat until they go soft, then leave to cool.
3. Mix the onions into a bowl with the grated cheese, eggs, cream and seasoning, and mix thoroughly with your fingers.
4. Warm a mixing bowl and sift in the flour. Make a well in the centre.
5. Heat the butter and the milk in a saucepan over medium high heat until just boiling. Pour into the well in the flour. Mix quickly. Continue mixing the pastry until the dough is smooth.
6. Divide the pastry into two balls, keeping one a little larger than the other. Roll out the larger ball of pastry into a lined greased baking tin. Tip the cheese and onion mixture into the pastry case.
7. Moisten the edges of the pastry and cover with the rolled-out top piece, crimping the edges together carefully. Brush beaten egg over the top, and make a hole in the middle.
8. Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling from the hole.